How Old is our Universe?
Almost every science and history book, even some Christian ones, promote the theory that the universe is billions of years old. I ask, what is our foundation? Whatever it may be, all of our ideals and perspectives are based on that foundation. Therefore, every person has a foundation on which they base their thinking. When two people disagree, it is because of their difference in foundations. As a committed Christian our foundation should be the Scriptures “There is no wisdom, nor understanding, nor council against the Lord” (Proverbs 21:30). Every area of our lives must start with the Word of God.
For over a thousand years, science and the Bible have always gone hand in hand. Theology was once referred to as the Queen of Science. However, about two hundred years ago people like James Hutton, Charles Lyell and others, because of their atheistic views, challenged the foundations about our earth’s past. When it comes to the past, all we have is evidence that exists in the present.
The Bible states that the earth and the universe are young, around 6,000 –7,000 years old. In studying on this subject for over 20 years, I do not know of anything that cannot be explained within the spectrum of Scripture. I have met Christians that share evidence that would seem to indicate a full proof argument that the universe is billions of years old. When you listen to their evidence, it is based on assumptions of the past that have not been proven. The main objective is that all the evidence be consistent with the biblical outlook. Evolutionists cannot do that with their theory. So do we put our trust in the all knowing, all-powerful God who was in the beginning, or do we put our trust in the limitations of men, who do not have all the evidence concerning life, who were not there? The choice is yours. Where does your foundation rest?
Evidence for a Young Earth and Universe
1. Magnetic Decay- In the last one hundred forty years, direct measurements have been taken concerning the Earth’s Magnetic field which show a steady decline in it’s strength. Dr. Thomas Barnes and other scientists who have studied this issue suggest that the half-life of the Magnetic field is around 1,400 years. This means that 1,400 years ago it’s strength would have been twice what it is today. This would show that if the earth was 10-15,000 years old, the field would be so strong it would not be able to support life on earth as we know it.
2. Sun’s Shrinking Mass- Since 1836 over 100 observers from the U.S. Naval and Royal Greenwich Observatories have made direct measurements of the sun’s diameter which show a steady decline. This decline indicates about 5 feet per hour or 8.29 miles a year. If the Sun were 5 million years old, Mercury would have been destroyed by the sun’s radiating heat long ago. There is much that we are learning everyday about the world around us that is consistent with God’s Word.
3. Short Period Comets - As comets pass by the sun, like Haley’s comet, they are torn apart by the Sun’s powerful gravity and solar winds. As the comets make each pass in their cycle, they will eventually be destroyed. According to the late Dr. Harold Slusher of the University of El Paso and other astronomers, the life expectancy of a short period comet is at the most 10,000 years. Since both evolutionists as well as creationists believe the short period comets existed at the beginning of time, they would be a good indicator of the age of the universe.
4. Atmospheric Helium- The amount of Helium in our atmosphere is caused by several things:
• Uranium and thorium deposits produce Helium.
• The sun produces Helium that comes into our atmosphere.
• Helium is produced by other material that comes from the earth’s core. Since very little of helium atmosphere is millions of years old, there should be large amounts of helium now. Dr. Melvin Cook, former Nobel-prize nominee says that the amount of helium in our atmosphere at present shows a age of 10-15,000 years old.
5. Moon Recession - As tidal friction gradually slows Earth’s spin, the laws of physics require the Moon to recede from Earth. This recession was first observed in 1695 by Edmond Halley. Even if the Moon began orbiting near Earth’s surface, the Moon should have moved to its present distance from Earth in several billion years less time than the 4.6 billion-year age evolutionists assume for the Earth and Moon. So the Earth-Moon system must be much younger than evolutionists
6. The Speed of Light - Light traveling at 186,000 miles per second, will travel about six trillion miles in one year. This distance is called one light-year. There are galaxies that are alleged to be billions of light-years distant from us in space. This means that the light, which left the galaxies five billion years ago, should just now be reaching us. This would seem to indicate that the Universe and the creation must be at least five billion years old or else we wouldn't be seeing this light. In other words, if the stars were only 6 - 10,000 years old, the light from these distant galaxies would not have even reached us yet. There are several possible explanations which even those that believe in billions of years admit there is assumptions made in this area.
One possible theory is since Black Holes are possible stars that their gravitational pull is so strong that it does not allow light to escape, therefore the possibility of gravity effects light speed.
7. Saturn’s Rings - The fact that Saturn still has rings supports the theory of a young universe. These rings, which consist of rock fragments, are continually bombarded by meteors causing the rings to disperse. If the solar system was older than 25,000 years, Saturn's rings would have been pulverized and scattered long ago
When all the evidence is looked at, it fits the age of the universe as described in the Holy Scriptures. These are just a few of the things that unholy men have twisted to lead many to doubt the trustworthiness of God’s Word.
Are you willing to put your trust in men, who do not know everything, or are you willing to trust in an all knowing, loving God who was there? The choice is yours.
Most important question to answer is…
How does anyone get to heaven?
First realize that they cannot get to heaven on their own merits. The Bible says that “For all have sinned and come short (that means everybody can’t get to Heaven on their own) of the glory of God” (Romans 3:23)
Jesus Christ (who is the Son of the living God) came to earth and was born of a virgin woman (therefore he was not born of the curse of mankind) he lived a sinless life and died on a cross for all the sins in the world. Three days later, God the Father raised Him from the dead. He was seen of 500 witnesses and returned to heaven. God’s word says that if we believe these things and call upon the Lord, we will be saved. Romans 10:9 - 13