The Myths of Home Education
“In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them, which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.” II Corinthians 4:4
One of the main objectives our adversary the devil has taken is to blind the unbelieving from the truth and cause God’s people to forget the responsibilities that He has ordained on us since the beginning.
“My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge, I will also reject thee, that thou shalt be no priest to me: seeing thou hast forgotten the law of thy God, I will also forget thy children.” Hosea 4:6
Our children are the next generation. The enemy knows that if he can twist the training of them and build their foundation on a lie he can turn a community and even a nation into a wicked state. He knows he has to destroy the weapons that work against him and that would be Christians. A committed Christian builds his life on the word of God. When it comes to the education of our children, what does God have to say about it?
“That thou mightest fear the Lord thy God, to keep all his statutes and his commandments, which I command thee, thou, and thy son, and thy son's son, all the days of thy life; and that thy days may be prolonged … And these words, which I command thee this day, shall be in thine heart: And thou shalt teach them diligently unto thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thou liest down, and when thou risest up.” Deuteronomy 6:2-7
When it comes to education, God has ordained fathers the responsibility of the education of their children. They are to be the teachers of their physical and spiritual training. Even though home education became popular in the 1970s, it has been the primary means of education since the beginning. In just over a generation, parents have bought the lie that public schools are the best way a child can be trained, but is it?
Home education has definitely raised questions in the eyes of those who know very little about it. They have questions that seem to put them on the defense when it is discussed in public. Let’s examine each one of the concerns people have regarding home education:
1. You need to have a degree in education to really be effective to the training of your children.
The one thing that makes parents more qualified to teach their children than most teachers is their love and self-sacrifice in wanting the best for their child. A college degree was never required for teachers at the beginning of public schools.
2. A child’s social skills are stunted when they are educated at home.
Recent studies have shown that children who are segregated by age tend to be stunted, because the only ones they have been around are those of their own age. Children who are schooled at home tend to accelerate in maturity because they are around different ages of children and their parents.
3. Kids need to be with kids their own age.
This was an ideal that was promoted by John Dewey who was considered the father of progressive education. Dewey was well known for his socialist ideals and his personal attacks upon Christian influence in the schools.
4. They miss so much when they are not attending a public school.
People who say this are usually those who have no idea what home education is all about. Let’s list some of the things they “miss”:
1. They get to be segregated so that the only age they can really get along with are kids their own age.
2. They become the brunt of jokes if they are different than others.
3. They get to lose their purity at a young age just so they can be one of the gang. If they are girls, they can get pregnant as early as age 11.
4. They get to be influenced by drugs.
5. Their education is censored especially in the area of man’s origins as well as history.
6. They get to be taught that they are their own person and they can do things without the knowledge of their parents.
Let’s list the things children who are home educated get to look forward to:
1. They see the love & devotion their parents have for them when they see the sacrifices they make to educate them.
2. They bond with their younger and older siblings.
3. They can go on vacation anytime of the year and everywhere they go it can be considered history or part of their education.
4. Children who are home educated can accelerate in their learning based on their abilities and do not have to wait on the class. Most delinquents are exceptional students who are not challenged because of class restrictions.
5. Home education only requires 2-3 hours of class time per day, 4 days a week. This leaves plenty of time for the student to pursue other activities that public school children can’t.
6. Home school students have scored in the top 10% S.A.T. scores in the last decade, as well as winning the national spelling bee.
7. Children with learning disabilities can excel far greater than in a public school. An example of this is Thomas Edison. He was considered retarded by his teacher. When his mother home schooled him, it was then that he excelled and has a record of over a thousand patents.
5. Men and women who are home educated are limited to what they can do.
Here are just a few men and women who belong in the “Home Education Hall of Fame”:
• George Washington - First President of the United States and Father of our Country
• Thomas Jefferson - Father of the Constitution and President of the United States
• Albert Einstein - Scientist
• Woodrow Wilson - President of the United States
• Winston Churchill - Prime Minister of England
• Abraham Lincoln - President of the United States
• John Quincy Adams - President of the United States
• Clara Barton - Founder of the Red Cross
• Orville & Wilbur Wright - Inventors of the airplane
• Booker T. Washington - Inventor and botanist
• Leonardo De Vinci - Inventor and painter
• Douglas Macarthur - General of the Army during World War II
• Daniel Webster -Senator
• Franklin D. Roosevelt - President of the United States
• Stonewall Jackson - General of the Confederate Army during the Civil War
• Teddy Roosevelt - President of the United States
• Alexander Graham Bell - Inventor of the telephone
• Patrick Henry - Statesman-Famous words “Give me liberty or give me death”
• John Paul Jones - Hero of the American Revolution
• Jonathan Edwards - Considered by most to be the greatest theologian America ever produced.
The choice of a new generation!!
Important note: My wife and I have home schooled our children for almost 30 years and can tell you that the families that have failed did you because of the following reasons:
1. The Father was not committed to the program
2. The parents especially the father did not have the children’s heart.
3. The parents were schooling the children in the same pattern as the public schools.
4. Compromises of the parents.
These and other factors can destroy a family and their plan for homeschooling.
You might be reading this and you have never made sure of where you will spend eternity. If so let me ask you a question.
How does anyone get to heaven?
First realize that they cannot get to heaven on their own merits. The Bible says that “For all have sinned and come short (that means everybody can’t get to Heaven on their own) of the glory of God” (Romans 3:23)
Jesus Christ (who is the Son of the living God) came to earth and was born of a virgin woman (therefore he was not born of the curse of mankind) he lived a sinless life and died on a cross for all the sins in the world. Three days later, God the Father raised Him from the dead. He was seen of 500 witnesses and returned to heaven. God’s word says that if we believe these things and call upon the Lord, we will be saved. Romans 10:9 - 13