How Many Children?
“Lo, children are an heritage of the Lord: and the fruit of the womb is his reward. As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth. Happy is the man that hath his quiver full of them: they shall not be ashamed, but they shall speak with the enemies in the gate.” Psalms 127:3-5
When a nation, such as ours, turns it’s back on God, it is no wonder that within one generation our society will in many ways have ideals that are in direct opposition to God’s ways. One of them is bearing children.
The above scripture compares the blessing of having children with arrows that a hunter uses. In fact, a hunter usually takes more than ten arrows when he goes out on a hunt.
There are several things that the Bible teaches and even commands concerning our children. Here are just a few:
1. Children are a blessing and not a burden.
How sad it is to see parents regretting having their children. They even tell them that they are to blame because they did not get to do things they wanted to do. If only they realized that those children belong to God and He will hold each parent accountable on how they have raised or not raised them. He will come to the parent first before he goes to any teacher.
2. They are to remember their Creator in their youth. (Eccl. 12:1)
How can parents fulfill this when they send their children to schools that are forbidden to teach a creator based education? Why? Because if they realize that there is a creator, then the following ideals would be permeated in the minds of the students:
• They would realize that they were created in the image of God.
• They would realize that there is right and wrong, and regardless of what decisions we make, there will be a day of accountability for our actions.
Two Generations ago - When my parents went to school the thought of girls giving up their virginity was unthinkable. This was because of their being taught that there was a Creator Supreme Authority and it permeated our culture. That is not to say some girls did fool around, but it was not the majority like it is today.
One Generation ago - When I went to school, God and the Bible were removed from the school system. My generation thought it was okay to have physical relations with the opposite gender, as long as it was mutually agreed. During my schools years, I only recall about four girls that had children outside of marriage. Near the time of my graduation, it was considered uncool to be a virgin and those who were virgins were laughed to scorn.
Present - I have worked as a mentor in the same high school I attended. The school had a day care to help girls stay in school, but all it does is teach them that if they do get pregnant, they will be taken care of. Presently there are over 60 girls that are expecting or have already delivered. One survey done showed that 50% of teenagers have no problem with forced sex. Some of the kids are talking about relations between same sex..
You would think all of this would cause our society to wake up. The only thing it has done is allow the kids to receive birth control devices from their guidance counselors. They are told to be careful and if they aren’t careful and don’t want to keep the child the state, will pay for an abortion without the knowledge of the parent. This is a result of removing the creator from our youth.
3. When they are left (sent out away from home) to themselves, they will bring their mother to shame. Proverbs 29:15
One study reported that the average time that a parent spends with their child in a one on one session is less than five minutes a day. With all the activities that children are involved with, the parent has lost their influence on the child. One family I am aware of has a ten year old that has football practice every day from 5:00 – 8:00 pm 3 days a week, he then has one or two games on the weekend. Then there is homework. Parents have forgotten the power that God gave them to train their children.
4. To know that God opens and closes the womb and not us. Genesis 29:31, 30:2
Some people look at our family of 11 and say they could never do that. My wife said the same thing when we only had one. God knows us and knows what we can take. It’s a matter of allowing God to control and not how many you think you might have.
5. They are to be disciplined with love, not with timeouts. Proverbs 13:24
When I went to school, each teacher had a board to spank children and most of us feared and respected them. Then only the school staff could spank you. Then only the principal could. Now, it’s against the law. Today, families have been investigated and at times had their children removed from them because they believe in spanking their children in the proper manner.
Recently a family had their Children removed because they spanked one of their children and a neighbor reported them. After a while it was found that the way they spanked their child was covered by the laws of the state.
6. Set the example - We as parents are not to provoke our children to wrath, but to bring them up in the ways of God. The bottom line is simple: Set the example. Don’t be a hypocrite:
• If you don’t want them to drink, then don’t drink.
• If you want them to have good marriages, then set the example with your marriage. Love your spouse, write love letters, go on dates. Let them know that divorce does not exist in your mind. Some will argue and say it’s better to separate than to make each other unhappy. That, my friend, is a lie of the enemy. The Bible tells us that there is nothing too hard for Him that he can’t restore. Divorce is a result of choosing to resist the grace of God.
• If you want them to come to you when they need help, then let them be the ones that bring you much joy. Win their hearts, take them on dates and when they are older they will not depart from it. (Proverbs 22:6)
Did You Know:
That the founder of Planned Parenthood, Margaret Sanger, was a socialist and that even most Christians follow the example which she built on a lie due to bitterness against God. She taught that by having fewer children it would secure and maintain World Peace instead of allowing God to plan them.
Her first publication was called “Women Rebel” which started the Birth Control movement. This was to help mothers, who did not want anymore children. As a result of it, our unmarried young people have been liberated from the fears of getting pregnant, instead of abstaining and waiting for the right man in the realm of marriage.
What about not having children because of overpopulation?
In our day, we are taught that it’s good to have little or no children because of overpopulation, but is this true? Here are some things you were not taught to consider:
• That the world’s population can fit in half the size of the city limits of Jacksonville, Florida.
• The present average number of children one family is 1.8 children.
1. At that rate, the population will be decreased to a dangerous low.
2. That includes the number of children under 18 that are having children.
3. One needs to consider in many areas the number of deaths that far exceeds the number of births.
In our colleges and universities the D.I.N.K. society is heavily promoted and practiced.
In reality, when people say that there were things we did for back then, and that now we are in a new age of thinking. All that means is that we have been successful in removing God and his protection from the minds of our future, our children.
“… and there arose another generation after them, which knew not the Lord, nor yet the works which he had done for Israel.” Judges 2:10-11
Where will you spend eternity?
How does anyone get to heaven?
First realize that they cannot get to heaven on their own merits. The Bible says that “For all have sinned and come short (that means everybody can’t get to Heaven on their own) of the glory of God” (Romans 3:23)
Jesus Christ (who is the Son of the living God) came to earth and was born of a virgin woman (therefore he was not born of the curse of mankind) he lived a sinless life and died on a cross for all the sins in the world. Three days later, God the Father raised Him from the dead. He was seen of 500 witnesses and returned to heaven. God’s word says that if we believe these things and call upon the Lord, we will be saved. Romans 10:9 - 13