What can happen in one generation?
“…and there arose another generation after them, which knew not the Lord, nor yet the works which he had done for Israel. And the children of Israel did evil in the sight of the Lord, and served Baalim:” Judges 2:10 &11
In the early 1960s, the Bible and prayer were banned from all schools. This was done in the name of separation of church and state, which is not even found in the Constitution. It was a statement that was found in one of Thomas Jefferson’s letters to a group in Danbury, Connecticut. In the letter he said that the government should not influence the church, but that the church should influence the government. The whole reason for the First Amendment was not to have a state church. When absolutes are removed from a society it will eventually lead to its downfall. History demonstrates this in many ways. Egypt, Greece, and Rome are just a few.
“Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it.”
What have we forgotten about our past? Here are just a few “forgotten facts”:
• The first law regarding education in the United States was the Old Deluder Satan Act of Connecticut and Massachusetts of 1642. The people wrote this law because they believed that the atrocities of the past were caused from the average man being unable to read the Bible in his own language. Schools taught Americans how to read using the Bible. •The first 100 colleges that were founded in this country were founded on Christianity.
• The Battle Cry of the American Revolution was “No King, But King Jesus”.
• Benjamin Franklin urged Congress to open in prayer every time they were in session.
• Half of the signers of the Declaration of Independence were ordained ministers of the gospel.
• The U.S. Supreme Court declared in 1892 that in over 80 government documents America was indeed a Christian nation.
• Every president ever sworn in has done so with his hand on the Bible.
• Most of the great monuments in our country have scripture written on them.
• The Great Awakenings by such men as George Whitefield, Jonathan Edwards, John Wesley and D.L. Moody caused our nation not to forget our foundation.
Let’s look at what America was a generation ago, then let’s look at where she is today.
Forty years ago:
• Schools taught that a Creator created men and women equal.
• The church approved all movie scripts, because they knew that movies influenced America. Movie ratings were not in existence.
• America did not need to have curse-free T.V. aids, because producers knew people would not stand for it.
• Shows like “Father Knows Best” and “Leave It To Beaver” promoted basic family values. They showed the importance a mother had in her family when she stayed at home. Now stay at homes moms are considered 2nd rate citizens. One church actually preached against them.
• Homosexuality was considered an unspeakable and horrible act against nature.
• Abortion was considered murder. It was a deterrent to young ladies to help them remain pure before marriage.
• Throwing paper in the school classroom was a serious crime.
• Divorce rates were low.
• Most women, upon graduation, went on to marry and start their own families.
• Americans had a deep love for their country and flag. We would not tolerate those who would desecrate it in the name of free expression.
• Most women wore clothes that identified them as women.
• Supermarkets played harmonious music that all people could appreciate.
• In most neighborhoods, one could leave their keys in the car and did not have to lock their homes at night.
• Those that went out on Halloween could enjoy a fun filled night with friends and a bag full of treats.
• When a woman’s car broke down on the road, several people would stop to help within a short time and she had no need to fear.
• Businesses were not open on Sunday due to the Blue Law. Alcohol was not sold on Sundays as well.
• Children honored their parents and therefore grew to respect the laws and rights of others.
• Our crime rate was under control.
• When a person was convicted of murder they were executed and it was called justice (Genesis 9:6).
• Large families were common.
• Businesses made women quit once they started having children.
• Churches preached righteousness and holy living and were truly a light to a darkened world.
The following are just a few points of what America has suffered since the Bible was removed from our schools and colleges.
• Law enforcement officers are posted in most schools.
• High schools are now opening daycare centers for the children of students. Girls are getting pregnant at ages as young as 11.
• Movie producers have no accountability. Most movies produced today are of the R rating, which includes violence, nudity and strong language.
• T.V. sitcoms promote divorce, sex outside marriage, children undermining their parents and even cursing them. They also condemn mothers staying at home.
• We have laws that punish people who say that homosexuality is sin. Employers cannot turn down people for jobs who commit such acts.
• Millions of children have been murdered since 1973. People think that changing the name from child to fetus would make it easier to deal with the guilt. These murders are more hideous then those of Stalin and Hitler combined.
• Young men and women are living together and have no shame in it. This used to be considered against the law.
• Magazine covers depicting women as harlots are found in almost every store in our country.
• We see billboards that tell young ladies not to put their newborn baby in a dumpster, but to bring it to the nearest firehouse or hospital, no questions asked.
• Divorces have increased by 100%. Pregnancies to girls ages 10-14 are up 500%. America leads the world in violent crime, divorce, voluntary abortions and illegal drugs.
• Terrorists have attacked on our own soil and we wonder why. God protected our country until we told Him we didn’t want Him anymore.
• The Ten Commandments were removed. Murder and shootings have replaced them.
• Churches are compromising and following after the things of the world.
• The family has been sacrificed in the name of a career.
These are just a few of the things that have happened to our country since God removed His protection. We, as a nation, have been blinded to the god of this world. The only hope we have is when God’s people cry out, repent of their wickedness and get their hearts right with God. (II Chronicles 7:14)
“A blessing, if ye obey the commandments of the Lord your God, which I command you this day: And a curse, if ye will not obey the commandments of the Lord your God, but turn aside out of the way which I command you this day, to go after other Gods, which ye have not known.” Deuteronomy 11:27&28
Where will you spend eternity?
First realize that they cannot get to heaven on their own merits. The Bible says that “For all have sinned and come short (that means everybody can’t get to Heaven on their own) of the glory of God” (Romans 3:23)
Jesus Christ (who is the Son of the living God) came to earth and was born of a virgin woman (therefore he was not born of the curse of mankind) he lived a sinless life and died on a cross for all the sins in the world. Three days later, God the Father raised Him from the dead. He was seen of 500 witnesses and returned to heaven. God’s word says that if we believe these things and call upon the Lord, we will be saved. Romans 10:9 - 13